Puppy Pre-school & Fun
Puppy pre-school & Puppy Fun Class are essential for early socialisation & good manners of your puppy. A well behaved dog will be welcome where ever you go.
Research documents that early socialization of puppies between 8-18 weeks of age is critical to their future behaviour & development.
Our course is also an owner education program designed to help owners teach their puppies good manners. The course is conducted over a 5 week period in our large reception area. Currently it is held on Wednesday nights at 7pm & goes for 1 hour. The whole family is encouraged to come along so that the techniques can be practised by everyone.
What will you learn?
You will learn how to teach your puppy basic commands like sit, recall, stay, drop and lead handling. You will be shown a number of techniques emphasizing positive reinforcement. The course is all about socialisation so that your puppy learns how to interact appropriately with other puppies & people. You will also learn useful information about raising a puppy.
Other topics include: Vaccinations, Worming, House Training, Nutrition, Desexing, Flea & Heartworm Control, Mouthing/Biting, Digging and Car Sickness.
How will you benefit?
- You will have a puppy that has been taught good manners
- Your puppy will understand how to behave when playing & interacting with other dogs & people
- You will have established a close bond with your puppy
- You will have learnt basic commands such as sit, recall, drop and stay
- You will have opportunities to ask questions about your particular needs or problems
- Discounts for vaccinations, microchip implantation & desexing when your puppy graduates!
- Free samples & promotional material in a showbag at graduation
- The enrolment fee includes a folder full of notes for later referral & the availability of Dot & Meg any time for further advice
- Dot & Meg can also give formal training lessons to your puppy at a location in Croydon if this is required.
How will your puppy benefit?
Your puppy will have the opportunity to:
- Socialise with other puppies
- Develop confidence
- Learn to cope with loud noises, other dogs and children
- Learn to enjoy future Veterinary visits
Who runs the classes?
Our puppy classes are instructed by Teacher's Pets Dog Trainers Dot & Meg. After the initial 5 weeks of classes individual or group sessions can be continued with Teacher's Pets. Dot & Meg are always available for helpful advice.
After your puppy graduates you can practice & reinforce the techniques learnt by attending the older juvenile puppy socialization sessions held at DRVC. The follow up course is also 5 weeks & costs $125. It is also run by Dot & Meg from Teacher's Pets Dog Training. Call us to book in your puppy on 9751 2999.
If structured training of your puppy is needed this can be arranged directly with Dot & Meg or ask our receptionist Summer for some brochures of other dog trainers servicing our area.
Puppy Fun Classes
This is a 5 week course run by Sally Haynes. Sally is completing her PhD, studying human-canine relationships in animal shelters. She also competes in agility competitions with her Dalmation & Springer Spaniel dogs.
The course is designed for slightly older puppies (5 months - 1 year of age is ideal) & is run over 5 weeks. The classes are conducted in the DRVC reception area on Tuesday nights at 7pm & run for 1 hour each.
The puppies learn how to be crate trained & how to play appropriately with their owners & other dogs. The emphasis in on fun & by the end of the sessions your dog will be happier, know the boundaries of play & know what is appropriate behaviour when playing & at other times. It isn't essential that puppies have done puppy pre-school classes before coming along to the Puppy Fun Classes.
These classes will teach you the basic priciples of shaping & positive reinforcement training. The classes can help you develop a stronger bond with your puppy & work through training issues calmly & logically.
Puppy Fun Class can help with:
- Jumping up
- Self control
- Tug & Give
- Crate training
- other unwanted / anti-social behaviours
Call us on 97512999 to book your puppy. Ideally there will be 4-6 puppies per class.